Checklist for Surgery
- No food after midnight (Small amount of water is OK).
- Patient drop-off will be between 7:00-8:00am.
- A pick-up/discharge appointment will be scheduled for the next day.
- Bring all your medications, special diet, and/or e-collar (plastic collar) with you (we will refill what is needed, if you do not bring an e-collar with your pet or at time of pick-up, we will make sure your pet goes home with one (cost $10-30 depending on size and material) NO exceptions.
- If your pet needs to take medications the morning of surgery, please call Sirius Vet, at least 1 day in advance, to make sure the medication will not counteract with any treatments planned for your pet.
- You will leave a deposit for the low end of the estimate on the morning of surgery. We do not accept third party billing.
- We perform surgeries from 9am – 4pm; you will be contacted as soon as we are finished with your pet’s procedure (No News is Good News!).
- Patients will be hospitalized overnight for post-operative care, and you will receive a text update between 8pm-10pm.
Day following surgery
- We will perform rounds in the morning, check on all of our patients, and will call you between 8:00-9:30am to give you an update and confirm your pick-up appointment.
- Discharge will typically take 20-30 minutes.
- Discharge will consist of final payment, scheduling recheck appointments, and going over discharge instructions.
- We will discuss medications, give you some exercises to do at home, review any x-rays, and answer any additional questions.
- It is not uncommon for your pet to be a little sleepy or wobbly when they go home.
- There may be a bandage over the IV catheter site. This can be removed when you get home.
Evening following surgery
- Medications can begin the first evening. Pick a time that works for you (6p-6a, 7p-7a, etc.).
- Start by feeding 1/4 to 1/2 of a normal meal. Many patients do not have a big appetite following surgery. Allow them a few days to regain their normal appetite.
- Feel free to call the clinic with any questions. We are open Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm.
If you have an emergency please do not wait for a call back and head to the closest emergency veterinary clinic.